Friday, October 23, 2009

Chocolate and Vanilla

How can you decide which you like better? I want to be able to enjoy both but it always seems like there must be a yes or no, black or white type decision. I go through life wondering which one is better. Maybe I should look at the history and growth of vanilla and chocolate. Yeah... thats what i'm gonna do.

Chocolate: It is thought that it originated about 4,000 years ago in the Amazon. Then it was used in Mayan culture and the word chocolate comes from the Mayan word xocoatl which means bitter water. It has continued from century to century. Even Hernando Cotez himself used th cocoa bean as a means of currency. There used to be a bitter drink that was made from the cocoa bean - Cortez wasn't a big fan so he suggested adding sugar to the drink... making it into hot chocolate. Soon, Chocolate became a craze in Paris, all over France, Rome and England. Solid eating chocolate was developed by a British facory in 1830. Wow... chocolate is so cool and that is only some basic facts... there is a lot more to chocolate that I haven't even mentioned!!

Vanilla: Vanilla also came from Mexico. It was used as a medicine for different congestinal problems and even venemous bites. It was thought by the Aztecs that making a drink with Vanilla is like drinking a drink if the gods. Cortez himslef also took a liking to vanilla, bringing it back to Spain with him as well. In 1608, Hugh Morgan, an apothecary discovered that the bean could be used as a flavoring on its own. Vanilla ended up moving all over the world, ending up in Madagascar of all places. Did you know that apparently Queen Elisabeth the first had a passion for vanilla? Oh the interesting things you can learn!

So now that I have researched... I still don't know what I like better. Maybe I'll just like both so that I can eat even more and enjoy even more than just being selective... Yeah... that's what I'm gonna do.

No comments:

Post a Comment